September 05, 2011

I may have found a reason to record

A lot of SCA bards cut albums.  A few have asked me if I have one, and the answer has always been "Aw, HEEEEEEEELLZ naw!"  I need this to be my hobby.  And while I may be serious about doing it well and serious about teaching, I need to stay on this side of "serious" in general, right?  I need this not to feel like a job.  And producing a CD, and then trying to promote said CD in order to recoup costs, would start to feel like a job.  And then it would stress me out and make me enjoy it less.  I went through this years ago with acting, I learned my lesson.  I love this a lot, but I don't wanna go pro - not even semi-pro, not even hemi-demi-semi-pro.

But I think I've found a reason to record my songs.  I've reached the point where I have too many songs to keep reliably practiced up.  So I find that I'm spending all of my time practicing the songs I haven't played in a while, rather than writing new work.   I feel like I'd like to record my songs so I can have them somewhere in a practiced, finished state.  I want to be able to take out a CD and say, "that's my song!" or to listen to it to remind myself when it's time to practice it up again.  Mostly - I just want my songs to feel finished.  Then I'll feel freer to move on to other music.

I think if I record my songs to have an album, it'll drive me nuts.  But if I record them for myself, then it'll be alright.  And I'll also have an album.

So Aeron and I are looking into home recording equipment now.  I don't want it to be a big, studio-digitally-post-production-mastered ordeal, right?  But at the same time, the idea is for my songs to feel "finished," and the lap-top mic recordings you've heard on my blog sound anything but finished.  So we'll see.  If anything comes of this, you'll read it here first (assuming I remember to blog before I Facebook).  And it will be a digital download, because dealing with CDs and jewel-cases and album covers and whatnot are what we're trying to avoid here.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, talk to your uncle Andrew. He has set up a studio in his house, and he knows all about recording. He set me up to record Pentalia (spoken) with his equipment, and he loaned me a mike for that cassette of harp music I recorded back in the early '90s. He will be able to tell you exactly what your options are, and what would work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog !! So Unless your standards are extremely high, it is possible to make some really good recordings. Get Audacity. It is free software and is pretty easy to use. You also need a few decent microphones like and a sound card or input for your computer which matches the microphone signal. Another approach is to use a small mixing board to send the mike signal to. I know this all sounds complicated but it is not really. It also is very affordable. Another option is come visit us in Texas and we can record you. - your uncle Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a surprisingly passable USB condenser mic, ping me sometime if you want to try it out... Marie

    ReplyDelete